The mission of FOCUS is to present Jesus Christ, Lord and Savior, to independent school students to the end that they might come to know Him and glorify God through their Christian witness and through lives of Christian service in the Church and in the world.
We are looking for volunteer leaders to partner with us in this mission as we serve students in our local areas. We believe that relationships are critical to effective ministry, particularly those between adult leaders and students. When done well, such relationships have the potential to demonstrate God's love for students and personify the message of the Gospel. With so many students involved, we are in need of more volunteers to take on this important charge!
We encourage you to apply if you:
• Understand and believe the Christian message and want others to hear, understand, and believe it.
• Are seeking to know God in your personal life and participate in church.
• Enjoy spending time with middle and high school students.
• Like to be active/sporty, can have wholesome fun, and/or have other gifts to offer.
We trust that God will demonstrate to both our staff and our applicants if individuals are a good fit through our application process. We hope that if you make a commitment to serve FOCUS, you will experience a deepening of your own faith, encouraging relationships, and a supportive community.
In light of that, this is what FOCUS commits to you if you are invited to join the leadership team. We will…
1. Encourage you to love and trust God more as you serve him not only at FOCUS, but also in your school and church.
2. Pray with and for you.
3. Provide community and fellowship for you among the leadership team, including supportive relationships with FOCUS staff.
4. Teach you faithfully from the Bible.
5. Equip you to explain the Gospel clearly.
6. Equip you to lead Bible Studies and/or for other teaching responsibilities that you may be given.
7. Train and support you to effectively serve in practical ways.
8. Challenge you to grow in godliness and personal maturity.
9. Encourage you to give your future to whole-hearted service for God’s Kingdom whether in or around FOCUS’ mission to independent schools or elsewhere.
As a volunteer leader, we ask you to commit to:
• Pursuing an active personal faith in Christ individually and in fellowship with others.
• Displaying attitudes and developing habits in keeping with someone serving in ministry (see Ephesians 5:1-4, Titus 1:7-9).
• Knowing that you serve as a role-model for students, seeking to make choices and pursue an ongoing lifestyle that is godly and “above reproach.” This includes your online persona and social media profiles.
• Fostering unity by enthusiastically participating in all aspects of the program, displaying a humble, teachable, and supportive attitude, and encouraging others as we serve together.
• Affirming the FOCUS Statement of Faith, Leader Expectations, and Modesty Statement.
If you become a FOCUS volunteer leader, you will represent FOCUS to students and their parents through your ongoing relationships with students.
To that end, we have an application process that includes submitting an online application. As part of this process, you will also submit a FOCUS background check, complete the FOCUS Child Abuse Training, and sign a FOCUS Consent Form.
Application does not automatically mean that you will be accepted as a leader. Invitation to join the leadership team is at the discretion of the Area Director.
Click here to fill out the leader application